Is air frying a pb&j really a thing?! YES, yes it is. This air fryer pbj is just like the classic, but with a crunchy exterior and dripping with gooey peanut butter – think grilled peanut butter instead of grilled cheese. It makes for a great snack or quick meal, even the adults at our house loved this air fryer peanut butter and jelly more than we expected!
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Table of Contents
What You’ll Love About Air Fryer PBJ
- Crunchy bread
- Melty peanut butter
- Perfect snack or quick lunch
- Just 2 minutes prep time
- Just 6 minutes cooking time
- Made with just 3 simple ingredients
The ingredients to make a classic pb&j probably don’t need much explanation…
- Bread – You can use so many different types of bread for a pb&j sandwich. Classic white bread, wheat bread, multigrain bread, Italian bread, or your favorite artisan bread like sourdough bread or a French boule.
- Butter – Butter helps create a perfectly golden brown and crispy exterior. I tried it without butter and it totally works, but if you like the texture of a grilled cheese sandwich, definitely butter one side of the bread slices.
- Peanut butter – Use your favorite peanut butter. You can use natural or not – up to you! You could also use almond butter or any other different nut butter. (Or put a spread of chocolate hummus in there!)
- Jelly – Use your favorite jelly or jam. Grape jelly, raspberry jam, strawberry jam, and apple butter are favorites, but you could even use a spicy pepper jelly for a fun twist.
How to Make Air Fryer Peanut Butter and Jelly
You may not need directions for this classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich recipe, but let me share a few things. If you don’t need it, keep on scrolling!
- Assemble sandwich. Butter outer sides of bread slice. Layer a slice of bread (butter side down) and then add jelly or jam to other side. Repeat with butter and peanut butter on other slice of bread. Top with other slice of bread (butter side up) and your sandwich is ready for the air fryer basket.
- Air fry. Air fry pb&j sandwiches in a single layer until golden brown, flipping half-way through.
This sandwich is best served immediately.
Can you freeze peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?
You can prep these ahead and then freeze in a freezer bag before cooking. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months. When ready to cook, simply air fry as directed and add a minute or two of cooking time if necessary.
What to Serve with Air Fryer PBJ Sandwiches
Serve this classic sandwich with easy sides:
- Apple slices
- Sliced grapes
- Carrot sticks
- Cucumber slices
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
If you like this easy air fryer peanut butter and jelly, you might also like some of these other simple air fryer recipes:
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
This air fryer pbj is a twist on the classic and just a few minutes in the air fryer you’ll have a nutritious snack or easy lunch that’s nice and toasty.
- 4 slices bread
- 2 Tbsp. peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp. jelly
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Make your peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Spread one side slice of bread with butter and place butter side down on cutting board. Top with jelly. Spread other slice with peanut butter on one side and butter on the other side. Place onto other slice butter side facing out.
- Place sandwiches into air fryer basket (buttered sides out) in a single layer and air fry at 400 degrees F for 2 minutes. Flip over and cook another 2-4 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cut in half and serve.
Keywords: air fryer pbj, air fryer peanut butter and jelly
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!